Monday, November 24, 2008

Top 5 Albums of 2007: In Retrospect - Garrett's list

Honorable Mentions: Holy Fuck- LP, Arctic Monkeys- Favourite Worst Nightmare, Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before This Ship Even Sank, Against Me! - New Wave


5. LCD Soundsystem- Sound of Silver
Well, this album was awesome last year and remains awesome this year. Also, one of the coolest shows I've been to. But I digress, the bass and drums kick so well on this album and "All My Friends" is one of the best songs of the last decade.
Top Tracks: All My Friends, New York I Love You, Time To Get Away, did I mention All My Friends?


4. The White Stripes - Icky Thump
Totally not on my list last year. I feel like this album and "Sky Blue Sky" belong together. Both are very good albums that are looked down upon because previous efforts by both bands are better. But Icky Thump is still ballin. Jack White proves once again why he is considered one of the best guitarists of our generation
Top Tracks: Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn, Rag and Bone, Conquest

3. Lupe Fiasco- The Cool
This album came out in December so it was a little to late to make last years list. But after a year of listening to Lupe, I am convinced he is the best rapper working today. Yeah, I said it! From the great stories of "Hip-Hop Saved My Life" and "Little Weapon" to simply cool tracks like "Gold Watch" and "Hello/Goodbye (Uncool)," Lupe proves to excel at anything he does. Can't wait for the triple album that will be LUPend
Top Tracks: Gold Watch, Hip-Hop Saved My Life, Put You on Game

2. Spoon- Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Despite what Zach says, I think this album is pretty much perfect front to back. Well done Spoon, not a bad track on the album.
Top Tracks: Don't Make Me a Target, Rhythm and Soul, Black Like Me



1. Arcade Fire- Neon Bible
My favorite album from last years list remains at the top. This album is such a beautiful emotional journey from the energy of "Keep the Car Running" to the solemnness of "Neon Bible." This album is one of those great experiences where you love to listen to the entire thing. And "My Body is a Cage" is still as chilling as the first time I heard it.
Top Tracks: My Body is a Cage, Keep The Car Running, (Antichrist Television Blues)

Also for your viewing pleasure: 

No comments: